Finding a French Bulldog for Rescue or Adoption
Are you considering rescuing a Frenchie? Yay!
Rescuing a Frenchie can definitely be one of the most exciting & rewarding moments in our lives!
But it can be really hard to find a reputable French Bulldog rescue shelter…
Rescues by Area
What to know when rescuing a French Bulldog
If this is your first time rescuing a dog, there are a few things that you’ll want to know that are a bit different than getting a dog from a breeder.
Things to know when adopting…
- All rescue dogs are unique
- Get familiar with our new dog checklist
- Separation anxiety is more common in rescues
- The dog has most likely been vaccinated & fixed
- Your rescue Frenchie may have experienced trauma in the past
- Regardless of their age, you’ll want to prepare like you’re getting a puppy
- You should learn how to puppy-proof your house (even if they’re not puppies)
- Be prepared for unexpected expenses; Frenchies’ health problems can possibly cost you thousands— this is why I recommend pet insurance for any Frenchie
How much does it cost to rescue a French Bulldog?
The cost for rescuing/adopting a French Bulldog can range anywhere from $0 to a couple hundred dollars.
Compared to buying a French Bulldog from a breeder, the costs of rescuing a Frenchie are much much lower.
According to U.S. News, the average costs when adopting a dog are around $100. I’d expect to pay more than $100 for a Frenchie, though.
11 Places to Rescue a French Bulldog
While you might not be able to a French Bulldog rescue shelter in your hometown, you might be able to find one that’s close enough to work with you!
Some of these organizations operate across the entire United States; just be prepared to wait some time before you’re up next to adopt.
Once you find a rescue shelter in your area, then you’re going to have to wait until they have one available for adoption.
You might need to put your name on a waiting list.
Anyways, here are 11 of the most popular French Bulldog rescue organizations in the world, hopefully, they can help you find a French Bulldog Rescue Shelter near you!
Popular French Bulldog Shelters
|Rescue Shelter Name||Location||Info|
|French Bulldog Rescue Network||North America||Most popular network to find a Rescue Shelter near you.|
|French Bulldog Village Rescue||United States||A network similar to the French Bulldog Rescue Network.|
|French Bulldog Rescue Shelter||United States||Nationwide Rescue Shelter directory.|
|SNORT Rescue||Northeast US||Shelters all flat-faced dogs.|
|Short Noses and Friends United Rescue||Midwest US||Shelters all flat-faced dogs.|
|RescueMe.Org Florida||Florida||Referral service for dog adoptions.|
|Adopt a Pet.com||Florida||Tool to search for French Bulldogs available for adop|
|F.R.O.G.S. (French Bulldog Rescue Of Georgia & Southeast United States)||Georgia||Services Florida and other states in the Southeast US.|
|Norcal French Bulldog Rescue||Northern California||You must be based in California to adopt a dog from here.|
|Rocky Mountain French Bulldog Rescue||Colorado||Operates throughout the Rocky Mountain region.|
|Chicago French Bulldog Rescue||Illinois||Adoption applicants must live within 2 hours to Chicago, IL.|
1. French Bulldog Rescue Network (North America – US & Canada)
The French Bulldog Rescue Network is the most popular place to find a French Bulldog rescue in North America.
The most popular place to find a French Bulldog rescue anywhere in the United States, as well as Canada, is the French Bulldog Rescue Network.
Adopt a Frenchie in the US & Canada
The FBRN has Frenchies available all around North America, however, it’s not guaranteed that your area will have an available rescue.
Keep your eye out!
Be sure to check back frequently to check if a rescue becomes available in your area.
The FBRN was Featured on CBS Boston
Five dogs from the French Bulldog Rescue Network (FBRN) were featured on the Pet Parade Sunday.
2. French Bulldog Village Rescue (United States – Nationwide)
The French Bulldog Village Rescue is a non-profit organization of people from all over the US whose mission is to “rescue, rehabilitate, and re-home French Bulldogs and French Bulldog mixes.”
They have been operating since 2004, and are always looking for donations & volunteers to help these Frenchies.
As with most rescue organizations, availability varies from time to time. Keep an eye out for a Frenchie available for rescue in your area!
Contact the French Bulldog Village Rescue
The FBRN has a notice on their site that they do not use Facebook Messenger to communicate at any time.
They will communicate to you through email.
3. French Bulldog Rescue Shelter (United States – Nationwide)
If you’re looking for a local French Bulldog rescue group, this rescue group directory is the perfect resource.
This isn’t a specific rescue shelter, rather, it’s a directory to help you find a French Bulldog rescue shelter anywhere in the United States.
Available in Multiple Countries
Do your homework!
Since there are dozens of rescue groups listed on this page, you’ll need to do some research on the ones you find in your area to make sure they’re legitimate.
4. SNORT Rescue (Northeast US – New Jersey)
Are you interested in rescuing any kind of short-nosed dog? Then check out SNORT Rescue.
S.N.O.R.T – Short Noses Only Rescue Team – shelters dogs in the Northeast United States.
SNORT Rescue Information
- Services the Northeast United States
- Founded in early 2011
- Their purpose is “to rescue brachycephalic dogs (mostly Frenchies, Boston Terriers, English Bulldogs, and Pugs)”
SNORT Rescue Social Media
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/snortrescue
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/snortrescue/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/snortrescue/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Short Noses and Friends United Rescue (Midwest US – Nebraska & Iowa)
SNAFU Rescue: Short Noses and Friends United Rescue. View Fosters at SNAFU Rescue
SNAFU Rescue is a French Bulldog Rescue Shelter based in the Midwest US.
States SNAFU Rescue offers French Bulldog Adoptions
- Sometimes fosters available in other states in the Midwest from time to time
SNAFU Rescue is “dedicated to raising money to remove dogs from the commercial breeding system and commercial breeder dog auctions, and raising money for those dog’s vet bills”.
Not only does SNAFU Rescue shelter French Bulldogs, they also frequently rescue English Bulldogs and other flat-faced breeds.
SNAFU Rescue Information
- Nebraska & Iowa
- Omaha, NE/Council Bluffs, IA
- They have fosters in other states within the Midwest from time to time depending on availability
- Nationwide adoption available
- “Rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming short-nosed breeds in need”
- 501(c)(e) tax-deductible non-profit
- They are “dedicated to raising money to remove dogs from the commercial breeding system and commercial breeder dog auctions, and raising money for those dog’s vet bills.”
SNAFU Rescue Social Media
Where to Rescue a French Bulldog Rescue in Florida
I was able to find a handful of French Bulldog Rescue Shelters in Florida.
While #8 is actually based in Georgia, they still offer services to those in the entire Southeast United States (which includes Florida!).
As far as #6 and #7 go, these aren’t specific Rescue Shelters— rather, they are directories to help you find a local Rescue Shelter.
Rescue Me! is a referral service for dog adoptions— this means that none of the information here has been verified by them.
Regardless, it’s still a great place to check from time to time to see if any adoptions pop up in your area.
If you do go this route, just be sure to do your due diligence.
F.R.O.G.S. was founded in 2016 by Debbie Mills Piper with a “commitment to helping Frenchies in a much more significant and meaningful level”.
Debbie worked with various rescue groups throughout the United States prior to forming F.R.O.G.S.
Facts about F.R.O.G.S.
- They’re 501(c)(e) tax deductible non-profit based in Georgia
F.R.O.G.S. Social Media
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF7wYwr8Ncq4WHFsTa0N3aw
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/FROGSfbr
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/854730634636260/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/f.r.o.g.s._frenchbulldogrescue/
- They have 2 phone numbers listed on their website for some reason
- Address: 97 S. Oleander Street – Fellsmere, FL. 32948-0000
- Email address: email@example.com
- Contact form
They have a private group on Facebook you must request to join.
Once your request is accepted, you’ll be able to post in the group & contact the administrators regarding adoption. This is a great way of getting in contact with the staff at F.R.O.G.S.
Where to Rescue a French Bulldog Rescue in California
9. Norcal French Bulldog Rescue (Northern California)
If you are looking for a French Bulldog Rescue Shelter in Northern California, then there’s no better rescue shelter than the Norcal French Bulldog Rescue](http://www.norcalfrenchbulldogrescue.org/) (NFBR).
You must live in California to adopt from Norcal French Bulldog Rescue
Frenchies from NFBR are high-in-demand and you may have to wait from two weeks to a year to get a Frenchie.
Norcal French Bulldog Rescue Information
- Wait times to rescue a Frenchie from here range anywhere from two weeks to a year+
- You must live in California to rescue from here. Their adoption application states so.
- They have a few Frenchies available for adoption as of the time of writing this article
- They include tons of helpful information about the dog and their history (if they’re good with dogs, kids, etc… other bad habits & things you should know about the dog)
Contact Norcal French Bulldog Rescue
Where to Rescue a French Bulldog Rescue in Colorado
10. Rocky Mountain French Bulldog Rescue (Colorado)
Rocky Mountain French Bulldog Rescue: A French Bulldog rescue that operates throughout the Rocky Mountain region. They are based in Colorado.
Rocky Mountain Rescue Information
- 501(c)(e) tax deductible non-profit
- Based in Colorado.
- Operates throughout the Rocky Mountain region
Contact the Rocky Mountain French Bulldog Rescue
- Phone: (303) 819-4904
- Email: rockymountainfbr@frenchiewiki
Where to Rescue a French Bulldog Rescue in Chicago, Illinois
Chicago French Bulldog Rescue Information
- The CFBR was launched to “prevent French Bulldogs from neglect, abuse, loss of family and theft”
- Dogs are rescued from animal shelters & puppy mills
- Applicants must live within two hours to Chicago, IL
Contact Chicago French Bulldog Rescue
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the differences between rescue Frenchie & one from a breeder?
When you get your Frenchie from a breeder, you can bring them home when they’re 8-10 weeks old.
A rescued Frenchie could be any age. The average age for dogs entering shelters is 18 months old.
With a breeder, you have more information about the dog’s genetic health history & pedigree.
Can I rescue a French Bulldog for free?
Yes, it is possible to find a rescue French Bulldog for free, however, there are tons of other costs that come with owning a Frenchie.
I highly recommend setting aside $1,500+ in case your Frenchie were to have a medical emergency and at least $100-$200 if you don’t have any dog supplies. If you’re not sure what you’ll need, check out our new Frenchie checklist.
Are rescue French Bulldogs aggressive?
It always depends on the dog’s history– dogs that have previous trauma are much more likely to be fearful & anxious which could escalate to aggressive behavior.
Signs of past trauma in dogs
Every dog’s past trauma will manifest in different ways, but these are some common signs:
- Excessive barking
- Fear of noises
- Fear of people
- Destructive behavior
The effects of a dog’s trauma on their behavior can be both obvious & subtle.
If for some reason you adopt a Frenchie and they do not fit into your family’s dynamic (kids, other pets, etc.), many rescue shelters will allow you to return the dog to them.
Are rescue French Bulldog aggressive to Cats
For the most part, Frenchies are good with cats. If the dog has no previous trauma, you should have no issue bringing them around a cat.
Check out our guide on how to introduce your Frenchie to a cat.