How much is a Pug Puppy?!
For some reason, some dog breeds cost a lot more than your average dog.
Pugs are one of those dogs…
While not as expensive as a French Bulldog, the Pug still costs a pretty penny.
There are many factors involved for the price of a Pug such as where you live, the breeder you choose, and color of the dog, and gender.
What is the cost of a Pug Puppy?
The average cost of a Pug Puppy is $1,200. When buying a Pug from a reputable breeder, you can expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $1,500+.
But some might cost even more than that if you get a Pug from a show-winning bloodline. Pugs from superior lineage may range between $2,500 up to $10,000+.
Pugs aren’t the most expensive, but they sure aren’t the cheapest!
Estimated Cost Breakdown for Pug Ownership
|Average Pug Puppy Cost
|Yearly Pug Expenses
|Minimum Cost for 10 Years (Puppy + Yearly)
|Pug Breeding Expenses
Pug Price Factors
A lot goes into the price of a Pug… females cost more than males because they can be used to breed; you can always expect to pay more for a Pug from a reputable breeder; and some colors & patterns cost a lot more than others.
- Gender — typically female Pugs will cost more than males due to their ability to breed
- Breeder — a breeder that has a good reputation will usually charge more for their puppies compared to a smaller, less-known breeder; highly reputable breeders will usually have a longer waitlist for their puppies as well
- Location — depending on where you live, the average price of a Pug might be more or less compared to the average of $3,500… in metropolitan areas (e.g. Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Miami, etc.) the price will be a bit higher compared to the prices you’d find in smaller cities or rural towns
- Color & pattern — some colors & patterns have genetics that are quite rare and breeders will typically charge more for these
- Purebred — a Pug that is purebred (both parents are AKC-registered Pugs) will cost a lot more than a Pug Mix or non-AKC Pug
Pug Price Chart by Color
|$1,000 – $2,000
|$1,000 – $2,000
|$1,200 – $2,500
|$1,500 – $3,000
|$1,500 – $3,000
|$2,000 – $4,000
|$2,500 – $5,000
|$3,000 – $6,000
Why is the Pug so expensive?
Pugs are often considered expensive due to a combination of factors, including their popularity, demand, and the costs associated with breeding and raising them. Here are some reasons why pugs may have a higher price tag:
- Breeding challenges: Pugs have a unique physical structure with a short snout, which can lead to health issues. Breeding pugs requires careful selection to minimize these problems, which can increase the cost of obtaining healthy and well-bred puppies.
- Health concerns: Pugs are prone to several health conditions, such as respiratory problems, eye issues, and skin allergies. Responsible breeders undertake health testing and provide necessary veterinary care, which contributes to the overall cost.
- Limited availability: While Pugs are a popular breed, finding a reputable breeder can be challenging. Responsible breeders may have a limited number of litters each year, which increases demand and drives up prices.
- Popularity: Pugs have gained significant popularity over the years due to their charming appearance and friendly temperament. Increased demand for Pugs can drive prices up, as breeders can charge more when there is high demand for a particular breed.
- Breeding expenses: Responsible breeders invest a considerable amount of time, effort, and money into breeding and raising their puppies. This includes expenses such as health checks, vaccinations, proper nutrition, and socialization. These costs are passed on to potential buyers.
While buying a Pug might cost you a bit of money, it’s nothing compared to the entire cost of ownership over your Pug’s whole life.
So just be ready for more than the price of a puppy — unexpected vet bills,
But if a Pug is right for you, it’ll be the best money you ever spend.
And if you aren’t in love with the price tag of a Pug from a breeder, you can always check local animal shelters to see if there are any Pugs near you in need of a new home.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Does A Purebred Pug Cost?
A purebred Pug costs between $800 and $3,000.
This is pretty much the same price as a Pug from any reputable breeder, as you would expect to get a purebred Pug from a reputable breeder.
That is, a Pug that has AKC papers that make it “officially a Pug”
What Pug color is the most expensive?
While not an AKC-recognized, the most expensive Pug color is Albino (also known as Pink).
What is the cheapest price of a Pug puppy?
While the average Pug is around $1,200, it’s not impossible to get your hands on one for much much cheaper. It’s not uncommon to see breeders selling Pugs for $800–$1,000 depending on where you’re from.
Rescuing a Pug is cheap — sometimes even FREE!
By adopting a Pug, you might even be able to get one for free — but this usually isn’t the case as there will be a $50–$300 adoption fee at most rescues.
Adopting is also a great way to provide a home to a pet in need while also saving yourself some money in the process. It’s a win-win for everyone involved!
What is the price of a Male Pug Puppy?
If you’re opting for a male Pug puppy from AKC registered parents, the price range lies between $800 and $1,500.
Additionally, the price can go up to $5,000 depending on the breeder and the pup’s lineage — but this is not that common at all.
Pug Prices around the World
How Much Do Pugs Cost in Mexico?
Like many regions, Mexican Pug dog cost ranges from $1,000 and $3,000 for average ones.
However, prices are high for those with superior lineages and pure breeds.
How Much Is a Pug in the Philippines?
In the Philippines, different Pug breeders from different parts of the country have varying prices.
However, the average price is slightly consistent compared to in the US. Below are some of the Pug prices and descriptions.
- A purebred 1.5 Pug male fawned with a wrinkled face and a black mask goes for PHP13,000.
- A purely black female Pug without papers aged between 6- and 12-months costs PHP8,000.
- A 5months female pure breed Pug with light fawn and PCCI pedigree fawn costs PHP17,000.
Note that, in the Philippines, the lowest amount you can get for a Pug is between PHP8,000 and PHP10,000. Plus, you can also negotiate the price with some breeders.
How Much Do Pugs Cost in California?
In California, the cost of Pugs constantly fluctuates due to market demands.
But on average, a typical purebred Pug costs around $1,000.
However, expect to pay anywhere in between $5,000 and $6,000 for those with pedigree or ones designated for shows.
What Is the Cost of a Pug Puppy in India?
The cost of a typical puppy Pug in India lies between 5,000Rs and 20,000Rs.
However, the average price ranges from 10,000Rs and 12,000Rs.
That significant range is dependent on several factors including the puppy’s lineage.
Alternatively, you can get a Pug from a Rescue shelter for approximately $150.
How Much Do Pugs Cost in Australia?
For a typical Pug in Australia, expect to pay between $600 and $1,500.
Keep in mind that these prices also fluctuate from time to time.
But, for a Pug with superior lineage, the price ranges from $1,900 and $6,000 with the main determinant factor being pedigree.