What the Fluff!?
We all know about Frenchies… but a Fluffy Frenchie?!
Huh? A Fluffy Frenchie…?
Yes, that’s right… there’s such a thing as a Fluffy French Bulldog… and would you believe that this puppy is 100% Frenchie?! (not mixed with another breed)
Read on to learn about…
- Price— why Fluffy Frenchies are so expensive and how much you might expect to pay for one
- History— where the Fluffy Frenchie comes from and how long it’s been around
- Genetics— Fluffy Frenchies get their long hair from a rare genetic mutation!
- Breeders— check out these 11 Fluffy Frenchie Breeders from all around the world
What is a Fluffy Frenchie?
A Fluffy Frenchie is a long-haired, fluffy & furry purebred French Bulldog that gets its fluffiness from an extremely rare mutation in the fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5) gene.
Others might call a Fluffy Frenchie a…
- Hairy French Bulldog
- Fluffy French Bulldog
- Long-haired Frenchie
A rare genetic mutation
Yep, you heard me right… a Fluffy Frenchie isn’t created by breeding another breed with a Frenchie…
It’s just an extremely rare gene mutation!
Note: Some breeders might attempt to make a “fluffy” Frenchie by mixing a French Bulldog with another long haired dog
What does a Fluffy Frenchie look like?
Fluffy Frenchies have long & fluffy hair as you’d expect… the fluff is most noticeable around their face & ears, but they’re fluffy all over!
They look just like any other Frenchie— but with long fur!
The hair on their face & around their ears is the cutest! Don’t believe me? Just see for yourself:
How much does a Fluffy Frenchie cost?
A Fluffy Frenchie typically costs at least $13,000, give or take a few thousand depending on your location and the color you want.
Nobody told you Fluffy Frenchies were going to be cheap!
Price will vary based on…
- Your location: The cost of a Fluffy Frenchie can vary depending on where you live. Prices may be higher in areas with higher demand for the breed or in areas where the cost of living is generally higher.
- Reputation of the breeder: Reputable breeders who prioritize the health and well-being of their dogs and follow best practices for breeding and socialization may charge more for their puppies than breeders who cut corners or engage in unethical practices. It’s important to do your research and choose a breeder who is transparent about their breeding practices and can provide references from satisfied customers.
- Color & pattern of the dog: The color and pattern of the dog can also impact the price. Some colors and patterns are more desirable and rare than others, which can drive up the price. For example, a Fluffy Frenchie with a rare and desirable color like blue or lilac may cost more than a dog with a more common color like fawn or black.
- The sex of the dog (females cost more): Female Fluffy Frenchies tend to cost more than males, in part because they are often in higher demand. However, it’s important to note that the sex of the dog should not be the only factor you consider when choosing a pet.
They’re rare & high in-demand
These Frenchies are not only extremely rare but also super high in demand…
Even if you can afford a Fluffy Frenchie, finding the exact color you want can be hard (you might not be able to find it locally)
Frenchies aren’t cheap!
With an average price of $3,500+, Frenchies aren’t cheap to begin with, especially some of the rarer colors such as blue or merle — these can be thousands of dollars more than an average Frenchie.
But Fluffy Frenchies are the rarest
But the Fluffy Frenchie is in a league of its own — they’re so unique & rare — and come with a hefty price tag.
“Rare” colors will be even more expensive
While any Frenchie (Fluffy or not) is expensive, you can bet that a Fluffy Frenchie in one of these ”rare” colors will carry an even steeper price tag!
Females are more expensive as well
Due to their use in breeding, female dogs tend to be more expensive than males.
Are Fluffy Frenchies Purebred?
Yes! Your first thought might be that Fluffy Frenchies are mixed with some other breed, however, that couldn’t be further from the truth…
A true Fluffy Frenchie can 100% be a purebred Frenchie — but not all are purebreds… Some might be mixed with other breeds!
Due to Fluffy Frenchies being purebred, that means the possible health issues are the same as any other Frenchie.
Common Fluffy Frenchie Health Problems
Like any other Frenchie, Fluffy Frenchies are going to be prone to joint issues like hip dysplasia, allergies, and of course breathing issues.
- Allergies: Fluffy Frenchies can be prone to allergies, which can cause skin irritation, itchiness, and other uncomfortable symptoms. Allergies can be caused by a variety of factors, including
food, pollen, and environmental allergens.
- Hip dysplasia: Hip dysplasia is a common joint issue in many dog breeds, including Fluffy Frenchies. This condition occurs when the hip joint does not develop properly, which can lead to pain, stiffness, and difficulty moving.
- Breathing issues: French Bulldogs are known for their brachycephalic (flat) faces, which can make breathing more difficult. Fluffy Frenchies are no exception, and may be prone to issues like stenotic nares (narrow nostrils), elongated soft palates, and other respiratory problems. It’s important to monitor your Fluffy Frenchie’s breathing and seek veterinary care if you notice any concerning symptoms.
That’s just a few of the long list of health problems Frenchies are notorious for having. For this reason, we recommend most French Bulldog owners invest in pet insurance.
What is a Fluffy Frenchie mixed with?
Nothing! Fluffy Frenchies are purebred Frenchies that are not mixed with any other breed.
100% Frenchie — 100% Fluffy
They’re not just another mixed breed! These are Frenchies with super rare traits that are extremely hard to breed.
This is part of the reason why Fluffy Frenchies are so high in demand lately
Note: Some breeders might make a “Fluffy” Frenchie by mixing a Frenchie with another long haired breed… this is not a true Fluffy Frenchie, though.
Are Fluffy Frenchies Rare?
Absolutely! Fluffy Frenchies are rarest Frenchies you’ll find around…
I don’t know about you but I’ve never seen a Fluffy Frenchie in real life… have you?! I’ve only seen these fluff balls online (sadly).
As mentioned earlier, Fluffy Frenchies get their appearance from a rare genetic mutation— what is this mutation, you may ask?!
Fluffy Frenchie Genetics
What makes a Frenchie fluffy is the extremely rare mutation in a gene known as fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5).
The FGF5 gene is responsible for hair length (in humans, dogs, and other species!).
More specifically, the FGF5 gene produces a protein that tells hair follicles to stop producing hair once they’re a certain length— but this process does not occur in Frenchies with the Fluffy mutation.
Check out this video on Fluffy Genetics
The genetics behind what makes a Fluffy Frenchie are quite complex— if you are curious and want to know more about the genetics, check out this video from Love My Pups.
Love My Pups — Fluffy Genetics
Fluffy Frenchie Genetic Testing
There are tests that can be done to determine whether or not a Frenchie carries the “fluffy gene” (FGF5).
A Rare Genetic Mutation
The rarest Frenchies around
It might be safe to say that Fluffy Frenchies are some of the rarest Frenchies around. I’m sure there are some colors of Fluffy Frenchies that are rarer than others as well.
11 Fluffy Frenchie Breeders
Fluffy Frenchie breeders are even rarer than Fluffy Frenchies themselves (especially reputable ones!)
Here are 11 popular Fluffy Frenchie breeders— most are in the United States, but there we found one in Australia. Know of any others? Please let us know!
Fluffy Frenchie Breeder Chart
|Breeder Name||Location||Contact Info|
|REO Ranch||Carmel Valley, CA||Email: email@example.com|
|Francoeur French Bulldogs||Southern CA||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Cherry Valley Blue Frenchies||Cherry Valley, CA||Email: email@example.com|
|Frenchies Unleashed||Victorville, CA||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|TatosFrenchies.com||West Palm Beach, FL||Phone: 1-561-806-4818|
|Top Paw Frenchies||Central Florida||Email: email@example.com|
|Gaugers Little Bullies||Kansas & Florida||Laura Helton 913-370-0706|
Ed Gauger 913-370-0358
|Beantown Frenchies||Andover, MA||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|BlueBuddhaFrenchies||Tennessee, USA||Email: email@example.com|
|FrenchieClassifieds.com||USA Nationwide||Multiple breeders available|
|AKC Marketplace||USA Nationwide||Multiple breeders available|
|Glamour French Bulldogs||Australia Nationwide||Phone: +61491333353|
About these Fluffy Frenchie Breeders
1. REO Ranch
REO Ranch is a French Bulldog breeder located in Carmel Valley, California. They specialize in breeding healthy, happy, and well-socialized French Bulldogs and also offer Fluffy Frenchies according to their website.
They are a small family-owned operation, and their puppies are raised in a home environment with lots of love and attention.
About REO Ranch
- Based in California
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: ReoRanch
2. Beantown Frenchies
Beantown Frenchies is another French Bulldog breeder that offers Fluffy Frenchies.
They are from Andover, Massachusetts— the closest airport is Logan International Airport, Boston MA.
Learn more about Beantown Frenchies.
About Beantown Frenchies
- Based in Andover, Massachusetts
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: @beantownfrenchies
- Instagram: @beantownfrenchies
3. AKC Marketplace
The AKC Marketplace isn’t a breeder, but they allow breeders to post listings of their dogs!
Due to this being a marketplace, availability will vary from time to time, so you’ll need to check back frequently if you’re looking for a Fluffy Frenchie.
About AKC Marketplace
- Multiple breeders available
- Availability will vary
4. Francoeur French Bulldogs
Based in Southern California, Francoeur French Bulldogs is a small breeder dedicated to producing top-quality French Bulldogs.
They focus on breeding healthy, well-tempered Frenchies that conform to the breed standard (AKC-registered breeder).
Litters are limited
They offer a limited number of litters each year, and their puppies are raised in their home with lots of love and attention.
Health Guarantee & Testing
Not only do they offer a 1-year health guarantee for hip, ear, and eye defects, but they also test all their dogs according to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals standards.
- Based in Southern California
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 805-233-0238
- Facebook: Francoeur French Bulldogs
- Instagram: @francoeurfrenchies
- View their contact form
- They test their dogs according to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) standards
- 1 year guarantee for hip, ear, and eye defects
- AKC Registered
FrenchieClassifieds.com is a website that connects buyers with multiple French Bulldog breeders across the United States.
They feature a wide selection of French Bulldog puppies for sale from many breeders, however, pretty much anybody can advertise their French Bulldog for sale/adoption…
So be sure to do your research on the specific breeder that you are looking at.
TatosFrenchies is a French Bulldog breeder located in West Palm Beach, Florida. They are also one of the few breeders that has Fluffy Frenchies available.
In addition, they also offer a “one-year full health guarantee” so that if your Frenchie experiences any health issues stated in their contract, they’ll cover the medical expenses.
- Located in West Palm Beach, Florida
- Puppies are AKC-registered & health tested
- Offer a “one-year full health guarantee”
- If your Frenchie has any health issues listed in their “contract”, they will cover any of the fees.
- Phone: 1-561-806-4818
- Instagram: @TatosFrenchies
- Facebook: @TatosFrenchies
7. Cherry Valley Blue Frenchies
It seems like California can’t get enough of Fluffy Frenchies, because our last Fluffy Frenchie breeder is based in Cherry Valley, California.
About Cherry Valley Blue Frenchies
- Located in Cherry Valley, California
- Phone: 909-528-7509
- Instagram: @cherryvalleybluefrenchies
- Facebook: @fozzythefluffyfrenchie
- Email: email@example.com
8. Gaugers Little Bullies
Gaugers Little Bullies is a breeder with locations in Kansas and Florida. They are committed to breeding high-quality French Bulldogs that are healthy, happy, and well-socialized.
They have over 25 years of experience in breeding and raising Frenchies.
About Gaugers Little Bullies
- Two locations— one in Kansas and one in Florida
- They have over 25 years of experience breeding Frenchies
- Phone: Laura Helton: 913-370-0706 & Ed Gauger: 913-370-0358
Frequently Asked Questions
History of Fluffy Frenchies
The history of Fluffy Frenchies is a bit vague.
Nobody really knows when the first Fluffy Frenchie came around… but I can tell you one thing with certainty: they’re here to stay.
How much is a Fluffy Frenchie?
Expect to spend a minimum of $10k for a Fluffy Frenchie from a reputable breeder, with some being even more expensive!
Are Fluffy Frenchies rare?
Absolutely! Their long hair is due to an extremely rare genetic mutation that can’t be replicated by simply cross-breeding a Frenchie with another long-haired breed.
What makes Fluffy Frenchies fluffy?
A mutation in a gene known as fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5) is what gives Fluffy Frenchies their long hair.
What are Fluffy Frenchies mixed with?
Nothing! Fluffy Frenchies are purebred and not mixed with any other breed.
Are Fluffy Frenchies Hypoallergenic?
No! Just like normal Frenchies, Fluffy Frenchies are not hypoallergenic.
Furthermore, Fluffy Frenchies still shed & experience allergies just like any other Frenchie!
Are Fluffy Frenchies purebred?
Yes, the “Fluffy” gene is just extremely rare in purebreds- no cross-breeding here!
How much is a Fluffy Frenchie stud?
The average cost of a Fluffy Frenchie stud is around $14,000.
Male Fluffy Frenchies will typically cost more than females because of their use in breeding.