Throwing up… ugh.
There’s nothing worse than seeing your Frenchie not feeling good and not how to help them.
Whether it’s you or your dog, puking is never fun.
Why is my Frenchie throwing up so much?
First things first, Frenchies are one of a handful of breeds that are predisposed to vomiting more than others…
So basically, you better get used to some occasional puking as a Frenchie owner.
There’s so many reasons why your Frenchie might be throwing up, but here are the most common:
7 Reasons Why your Frenchie is Throwing Up
- Allergies— this can be allergies to
- Eating/drinking fast— both eating or drinking too fast can cause your Frenchie to unexpectedly throw up. You can use a slow feed bowl to slow them down.
- Sudden change in diet— any sudden changes in
diet, food, treats, etc. can
- Eating something bad— they ate something they shouldn’t have — be sure to puppy-proof your house
- Motion sickness— some dogs just can’t handle car rides, but there are a few things you can do to make car rides easier for them(check out these car ride tips)
- Intestinal parasites— this is one of the more serious and uncommon reasons for your Frenchie to be throwing up (but only your vet will be able to tell you this for sure)
- Something serious— vomiting could also be a sign of a more serious health issue (kidney/liver disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, infection, cancer, etc)… if vomiting is persistent, be sure to visit your vet.
What you can do to stop your Frenchie’s vomiting
Treating your dog’s nausea/vomiting depends on the cause of their sickness… So the first step would be to figure out the root cause of their vomiting.
For sudden, acute, severe vomiting— take them to the vet
With a little bit of experimentation in their
Once you’ve figured out why they’re throwing up, you might have to do one of the following…
- Change their
food— sometimes changing their protein source (e.g. from chicken to beef) can stop their stomach issues
- Stop feeding them a certain treat that bothers them— Frenchies have sensitive stomachs!
- Use a slow-feed bowl— sometimes Frenchies eat too fast which can cause them to throw up
- Take them to the vet— if all else fails, your vet will be able to figure out why they’re throwing up
If you notice your Frenchie regularly throws up right after eating, they’re probably just eating too fast — my Frenchie does this quite a bit…
So I use the Outward Hound Slow Feed Bowl, it comes in a bunch of different colors & patterns to match your Frenchie’s personality & home decor.
- Reduces farting
- BPA-free plastic— safe to eat from
- Multiple fun shapes & colors to choose from
What foods might cause them to throw up
While your Frenchie probably would love to eat everything in their sight— they unfortunately can’t.
The following foods are known to cause vomiting in dogs… (and some are downright toxic)
Avoid these foods at all costs…
- Macadamia nuts
- Grapes or Raisins
- Human medications
- Plants such as azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms
Check out this full list of household toxins that could make your Frenchie sick. And of course, make sure your house is puppy-proofed!
6 Foods that can help an upset stomach and diarrhea
These foods are known to help soothe your Frenchie’s upset stomach…
- Bone broth
- Sweet potatoes
- Plain yogurt (no added sugar)
- Pumpkin (make sure it has no xylitol!)
Don’t just feed your Frenchie anything! Check out this list of all human foods you can share with your Frenchie.
Why is my Frenchie throwing up water?
I don’t know about you, but my Frenchie throws up water on a regular basis…
Frenchies usually throw up water for the following reasons.
- They drank their water too fast
- They’re too excited and didn’t want their heart rate to slow down before drinking
- For example, if they’re playing really hard and drink immediately, they might throw up water.
- They feel nauseous for another reason and just drank water
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up blood?
If your Frenchie is throwing up blood, you should go see your veterinarian immediately!
There can be many causes for them throwing up blood, but they’re all pretty serious and require immediate medical attention.
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up
food hours after eating?
They might not like their
Frenchies are known for having sensitive stomachs and it can be tricky to find a
Not sure what to feed your Frenchie
Not sure what to feed your Frenchie?
You should check out Ollie — it’s 100% human-grade dog food that is customized to meet your Frenchie’s unique nutritional needs.
They ship the food right to your door on a regular basis, so you’ll never need to worry about running out of food again.
Best of all, they offer a money-back guarantee for your first box so you have nothing to lose if your Frenchie hates it!
- Money-back guarantee
- Delivered straight to your door
- Customized to your dog's unique needs
- Improved coat shine, better digestion, and increased energy levels
- A bit expensive
- Requires freezer storage
- Shorter shelf life than kibble
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up white foam?
When your Frenchie’s vomit has white foam in it, that’s usually caused by the vomit reacting with the air around it.
This means that foam is more likely to be in their vomit if they have an empty stomach.
If your Frenchie keeps throwing up white foam on an empty stomach, and you can’t get them to eat… it’s time to call your vet.
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up yellow?
When your Frenchie’s vomit is yellow, it means there is bile present. This isn’t always serious though, and Frenchies tend to vomit bile more than other breeds.
Don’t panic yet! Some of these possible causes might sound scary but there’s usually a harmless reason for their yellow vomit like not eating for a while, drinking too much water, or something weird in their
Possible causes include…
- Food allergies
- Intestinal blockages
- Eating too much grass
- Drinking too much water
- Eating lots of fatty foods
- GI Diseases such as ulcers, parasites, and some cancers
- Not eating for a while (this always happens when my Frenchie is being a fussy eater)
Read more on why your dog is throwing up bile at PetMD.
When should I take my French Bulldog to the vet for throwing up
While you don’t necessarily have to run to the vet every time your Frenchie throws up, there are some exceptions to this rule.
If you notice any of the following with vomiting, take your Frenchie to the vet ASAP…
- Anxious / pacing
- Excessive drooling
- Extremely lethargic
- Constantly vomiting
- Blood in vomit or stools
- They’re “not themselves”
- Diarrhea or signs of extreme dehydration
- They have a fever (you can check with this thermometer)
- They’re throwing up after eating something possibly dangerous
Frequently Asked Questions
Do French Bulldogs throw up a lot?
Yes, Frenchies are notorious for throwing up a lot. They usually vomit for harmless reasons like eating or drinking too fast, getting too excited, or their super sensitive stomachs being upset.
There are many reasons why your Frenchie would throw up, and it’s important not to just brush it off until you know the reason why.