This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on our links.
Throwing up… ugh.
There’s nothing worse seeing your Frenchie not feeling good and not how to help them.
Whether it’s you or your dog, puking is never fun.
Why is my Frenchie throwing up so much?
First things first, Frenchies are one of a handful of breeds that are predisposed to vomiting more than others…
So basically, you better get used to some occasional puking as a Frenchie owner.
There’s so many reasons why your Frenchie might be throwing up, but here are the most common:
7 Reasons Why your Frenchie is Throwing Up
- Allergies to food/drugs/supplements/environment.
- They’re eating or drinking too fast. You can use a slow feed bowl to slow them down.
- Sudden change in diet
- They ate something they shouldn’t have — be sure to puppy proof your house
- Motion sickness (check out these tips for car rides)
- Intestinal parasites
- It could be a sign of a more serious health issue (kidney/liver disease, pancreaitis, diabetes, infection, cancer, etc)… if vomiting is persistent, be sure to visit your vet.
What you can do to stop it
Treating your dogs nausea/vomiting depends on the cause of their sickness.
So the first step would be to figure out the root cause.
Once you’ve figured that out, you might need to change their food, stop feeding them a certain treat, use a slow-feed bowl, or if you can’t find the reason, take them to the vet.
What foods might cause them to throw up
- Grapes or Raisins
- Human medications
- Macadamia nuts
- Plants such as azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms
Nutrition tailored to your pup's unique needs.
Freshly cooked and delivered to your door.
6 Foods that can help an upset stomach and diarrhea
- Bone broth
- Plain yogurt (no added sugar)
- Pumpkin (make sure it has no xylitol!)
- Sweet potatoes
Don’t just feed your Frenchie anything! Check out this list of all human foods you can share with your Frenchie.
Why is my Frenchie throwing up water
Frenchies usually throw up water for the following reasons
- They drank their water too fast
- They’re too excited and didn’t want for their heart rate to slow down before drinking
- For example, if they’re playing really hard and go drink immediately, they might throw up water.
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up blood
If your Frenchie is throwing up blood, you should go see your veterinarian immediately!
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up food hours after eating
They might not like their food or could be allergic to it.
Check out this list of our Top Frenchie Foods.
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up white foam
When your Frenchie’s vomit has white foam in it, that’s usually caused by the vomit reacting with the air around it.
What this means is that foam is more likely to be in their vomit if they have an empty stomach.
If your Frenchie keeps throwing up white foam on an empty stomach, and you can’t get them to eat… it’s time to call your vet.
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up yellow
When your Frenchie’s vomit is yellow, it means there is bile present.
Don’t panic yet! Frenchies are one of the few breeds that are predisposed to vomiting bile more than other dogs.
- Not eating for a while (this always happens when my Frenchie is being a fussy eater)
- Eating too much grass
- Drinking too much water
- Eating lots of fatty foods
- GI Diseases such as ulcers, parasites, and some cancers
- Intestinal blockages
- Food allergies
Read more on why your dog is throwing up bile at PetMD.