French Bulldog Poodle Mix – Everything You Need To Know
The French Bulldog Poodle mix, as you might guess, is a cross between a Poodle and a French Bulldog.
This is a truly exceptional breed that combines the unique characteristics of both its parent’s genes and is a loyal, affectionate and intelligent companion.
French Bulldog Poodle mixes make excellent family dogs and love nothing more than being at the center of the action!
What Is a French Bulldog And Poodle Mix Called?
A few other nicknames for the French Bulldog & Poodle Mix are…
- French Boodle
- Frenchie Doodle
The French Bulldog – A Brief Description of the Breed
A French Bulldog, also known as a Frenchie, is smaller than a standard Bulldog and is best known for its cute face and bat-like ears.
They have short-nosed wrinkly faces, large friendly eyes, and a strong muscular body with short legs and a stubby tail.
The breed has a varied length of coat that can come in cream, fawn, white, and combinations of the above.
The Poodle – A Brief Description of the Breed
Poodles are an iconic breed that has a highly distinctive curly hypoallergenic coat, an agile body, and a long snout.
Originally bred as water dogs, Poodles are a high-energy breed that has a great temperament and a willingness to learn.
This makes them very easy to train compared to other breeds which means that they often do well in competitions.
The French Boodle / Frenchie Doodle Mix
The French Bulldog Poodle mix — sometimes called a Frenchie Doodle — is extremely unique and exhibits features from both its parents’ breeds.
They are very intelligent, loving, and loyal pets who hate to be left alone so they best suit a busy action-filled household.
Frenchie Doodles were first bred around 40 years ago and quickly became one of the most popular designer dog breeds.
As a hybrid breed, they don’t suffer as much from the health conditions of their parent breeds which means fewer visits to the vet!
On average, this French Bulldog mix weighs between 15 to 28 pounds and stands at around 12 to 15 inches tall at its shoulder while the standard lifespan of the breed is roughly 12 to 14 years.
What Does A French Bulldog Poodle Mix Look Like?
As a mixed breed, there’s always a certain degree of uncertainty in how a litter of puppies will look.
Essentially though, the puppy will look more similar to the parent that it gets the most genetic traits from.
This means that there’s a wide spectrum of looks that they can inherit, from square-faced with stocky bodies to more lean dogs with a nose halfway between a Bulldog and a Poodle.
Sometimes they can have the characteristic ‘butterfly ears’ of a French Bulldog while in other cases they have floppy ears like a Poodle.
Are French Doodles Good Pets?
French Bulldog Poodle mixes make wonderful pets that need plenty of exercise and are suitable for families, couples, and single, older owners.
They have huge personalities that are loyal, entertaining, and playful.
A Comparison of The Breeds – The French Bulldog Vs The Poodle
About the French Bulldog
French Bulldogs are playful, intelligent, and highly adaptable dogs that are famous for being great companions and loyal family dogs.
Adult French Bulldogs usually weigh between 22 and 28 pounds and stand between 11 to 13 inches high at their shoulders.
The average life expectancy of a French Bulldog is roughly 10 to 12 years although they are susceptible to a range of health conditions which can sometimes limit this.
The Pros Of A French Bulldog
- Extremely adaptable and suitable for city and rural lifestyles.
- They are a very friendly and loyal breed which means that they can safely live with children and other pets.
- French Bulldogs are low maintenance and very easy to take care of so they’re ideal for first-time pet owners.
- French Bulldogs are very easy to groom and although they shed their fur twice a year if you frequently brush them it’s easy to keep them under control.
- They don’t require a huge amount of exercise so are good pets for older owners as well as busy professionals who can’t fit long walks into their daily routines.
The Cons Of A French Bulldog
- French Bulldogs can be quite mischievous and are not always the easiest breed to train.
- French Bulldogs are certainly ‘droolers’ which can be problematic for sensitive people with dog allergies, and despite their short coats, they are not hypoallergenic either.
- They are susceptible to a range of health conditions that are related to their breeding; including tail pocket infections, sunburn, and the congenital condition hemivertebra which causes their spines to twist painfully.
About the Poodle
Poodles are one of the most intelligent dogs of all who love to go for long walks but feel most at home splashing about in the water!
All Poodles have a curly hypoallergenic coat and cute floppy ears; a feature that means they are often groomed in the latest trendy fashions. Their coats can be white, black, sable, red, gray, or brown.
Poodles are a general breed that varies in size, from Toy Poodles which weigh just 4 to 7 pounds and stand at less than 12 inches tall, to the Miniature Poodle which weighs between 12 to 15 pounds and stands at 12 to 15 inches tall and the standard breed which weighs between 40 to 70 pounds and is between 15 to 18 inches tall.
The average lifespan of a Poodle, of any size, is between 12 to 18 years, making them a very long-living breed compared to most others.
The Pros Of A Poodle
- Poodles are extremely easy to train and keen to learn new things.
- Poodles are a stylish designer breed that will never go out of fashion!
- Hypoallergenic coats mean they are ideal for owners with dog allergies.
- Very loyal and affectionate dogs that make great companions and family pets.
- As a water dog, Poodles are naturally excellent swimmers; in fact, their curly coat helps them to stay afloat and their slightly webbed feet allow them to move around the water with ease.
The Cons Of A Poodle
- Poodles can be prone to medical issues, particularly obesity.
- As a high-energy breed, they require plenty of exercise each day.
- Poodles are a high-maintenance dog that requires a lot of grooming.